Places to Visit/Things to Do
A major landmark of Calgary is the Calgary Tower. Originally built in 1967, the tower used to be the tallest building in Calgary, rising up 626 feet. In 1988, the Olympic Flame was sheltered by the Calgary Tower when the Olympics were held in Calgary. The observation tower’s main purpose today is to offer visitors unparalleled views of Calgary and the Rocky Mountain Range. Calgary Tower is open daily from 9 in the morning to 10 at night during the summer season and only until 9 pm during the winter. Entrance for adults costs about $11 and about $5.50 for kids, depending on their age.
Calgary has plenty of outdoor attractions and activities. One of the most popular ones is Prince’s Island Park, a family green space within the hustle and bustle of the city. The park features several tree-lined trails and walkways, for those wishing for an evening stroll. The park also regularly hosts events and festivals. Prince’s Island Park is close to several popular attractions like the Calgary Zoo and Eau Claire Market. If you’re hungry, you should to Eau Claire Market after your park visit. Prince’s Island Park is open to the public 24 hours a day, every day. There is no admission fee.
If you’re looking for a beautiful art museum, visit the Glenbow Museum. Glenbow Museum is both a history and art display museum. Known as one of the finest museums in Canada, its exhibits mainly focus on Canadian culture and previous Indian tribes. There is also a large collection of Canadian military artifacts. Art-wise, there is plenty of displays to admire. The Glenbow Museum features displays of European, Asian, African, and more cultures of art. If you’re bringing kids with you on your visit, there are plenty of things for them to do at the museum. The Glenbow Museum is open Monday to Saturday from 9 am to 5 in the evening. On Sundays, they open at noon and close at 5 pm. Entrance costs about $10 for adults and about $7 for kids.
The Calgary Zoo is the one of the largest zoos in Canada, as well as being one of the first. The museum houses over 1,000 animals – 1,400 to be exact. It is home to various creatures, from traditional zoo animals like tigers to more local fauna in the Canadian Wilds Section. Not only is their fauna worth the visit, but so is the flora. Calgary Zoo features its own botanical garden, with plants from both local and international places. In the Prehistoric Park, you can learn more about Canada’s being a dinosaur habitat, something the kids might love. Calgary Zoo is a must see when you visit the city. The zoo is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm. Entrance costs about $16 for adults and about $10 for the kids.
When you’re in Calgary, you can’t miss visiting Canada Olympic Park. The massive sports complex was used in the 1988 Olympics but is now training grounds for athletes. A variety of activities are offered here, such as skiing. On-site, you can also find the Olympic Hall of Fame and Museum, home of the most artifacts of the Olympics. Canada Olympic Park is open to sports fans during the weekdays from 10 in the morning to 9 at night. On the weekends, they open at 9 am and close at 5 pm. Entrance prices vary upon the day of your visit, but prices for skiing range about $31 to $37. The Olympic Hall of Fame and Museum charges just a bit over $5 for entry.
There’s not a better hockey venue in Calgary (it’s also one of the best in the country) than the Scotiabank Saddledome, the home of the Calgary Flames. The Calgary Flames is a team of the National Hockey’s League. Originally from Atlanta, the Flames moved to Calgary in 1980, and won the Stanley Cup just nine years later. When the Saddledome’s not filled with hockey fans watching their team play, the Saddledome hosts various events such as concerts, festivals, and more. For game days and times, as well as prices for seating, stay updated with the Saddledome’s website. You can also learn about events, dining options, and more through the website.
Best Way to Tour Calgary, AB
- The best way to tour the city of Calgary (as well as many other cities) is by chartered buses and vans. Explore at your own pace within the safety of your private vehicle. Don’t worry about ordering an Uber or Lyft when you have your own exploration vehicle. Through Empire Charters, you can order the buses you need. Empire Charters is an amazing, affordable chartered vehicle company that caters to your every needs. Whether you need a bus for school trips, marriages, parties, campaigns, or whatever else, Empire Charters can help you. Empire Charters offers buses, mini buses, school buses, party buses, and more. Most activities and destinations listed above and below are accessible by chartered buses.
Visit www.empirecharters.com to book your rental bus today!
Best Places to Eat/Shop
- Chinook Centre – The Chinook Centre is the largest shopping mall in Calgary, Alberta. Chinook features over 250 stores, including several big names and brands. Chinook also offers plenty of dining and entertainment options.
- The CORE Shopping Centre –The CORE Shopping Centre is another large mall in Calgary, featuring 160 stores. They include top retailers, plenty of entertainment and dining options, services, and more.
- Market Mall –Market Mall is a massive mall located in Varsity, a neighborhood of Calgary. They feature 7 anchor tenants and about 230 stores. Market Mall is sure to provide everything for all your needs.
- Southcentre Mall –Southcentre Mall is yet again another huge mall. They feature over 190 stores, services, and dining options. The beautiful facility features just about everything you might need.
- Cassis Bistro –Cassis Bistro is a popular sit-down restaurant located in Calgary. The French restaurant features options for everyone, including those who are vegetarian and vegan. Cassis Bistro is rated the #1 fine dining restaurant in Calgary by tripadvisor in 2018.
- OEB Breakfast Co.Bridgeland – OEB is one of the most local food spots in Calgary. The Canadian food is respected by almost all visitors. They also are vegetarian and vegan friendly. OEB is rated the #1 local cuisine restaurant in Calgary by tripadvisor in 2018.
Have fun in Calgary!